Friday, November 15, 2013

Learning to talk tech at WhitePages


By: Gleb Petrov

I am working on a major New Grad campaign for WhitePages and I wanted to tech-out my recruiter phone screen to mix it up a little. I took the initiative to watch a few videos and presentations to learn about Hash Tables and various data structures that can be used to implement a set. I think I have a good grasp on the concepts and feel like I can now carry on a real conversation with my software developer candidates.

While promoting WhitePages to potential hires, I often brag about the open floor plan and free-flowing communication, using my  own experience as an example. When I wanted to quiz myself on my newly acquired knowledge of data structures, I figured that if I managed to explain them to a software engineer on the Data Science Team, I could explain it to anyone. So, I approached Joel Azose at his desk and asked if he could carve out a 15-minute window to hear my explanation. I expected it would take at least a day to get on his schedule, but Joel made time for me that afternoon. We went into a conference room and I explained the concepts and asked him the technical questions that I would ask my candidates. I got good feedback and went into my next recruiter screen with confidence.

It’s incredible to help a company grow, especially when it’s an amazing place like WhitePages. The office space is comfortable and open; the snacks are great, and plentiful; plus they plan great holiday trips. But, at the end of the day, it really comes down to the people, and WhitePages houses the best and brightest in the industry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment